Friday, August 12, 2011

Painted drawers

So I decided after painting the wardrobe that maybe I could paint other pieces of furniture....but I didn't have any to paint. Well there is this great junk/thrift shop near me and I have seen some pieces there that I like. I have been wanting to change out my bedroom furniture for some time now, so I decided I would buy a set of drawers that I could re-do...plus I need extra drawer space. I found this french provincial 3 drawer chest for a good price and grabbed it up (stuff doesn't stay at this shop long at all!) Notice all my hubbies junk lying on the table...there is a dresser next to it that will be re-done as well...that will be another post.


So after looking at some other blogs I decided on how I would tackle painting this. I decided to use a spray paint primer and then I was going to spray paint it the color I wanted as well. However when I went to look at spray paint colors I had no luck finding the color I wanted. Sooo I opted for regular paint and found the exact color I wanted...I was so happy! I cleaned off the drawers and primed them with Kilz spray paint, once that dried I sanded it with 220 sandpaper. Then I wiped all the dust off and proceeded to paint my drawers. The color I chose was icy teal by Glidden (I got it at Walmart). I did 2 coats of paint and let it dry overnight. The next day I glazed it, I got Valspar tintable glaze and tinted it a dark brown color...from Lowes. Ultimately I really like the end result...I purchased new hardware but I have yet to put it on...I need the right size screws (they came with the wrong ones) I will post a pic of that when the hardware is on...but for now here is the piece painted and glazed.


No comments:

Post a Comment